10:30 AM: Meet and Greet!
11:00 AM: Earl Shaffer’s Legacy and Impact
12:00 PM: Picnic Lunch, (Burgers and Hotdogs available)
1:00 PM: Dedication of Darlington Shelter Exhibit.
- Brian King, former publisher for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, 2023 Inductee into the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame, and author of The Appalachian Trail: Celebrating America’s Hiking Trail.
- Silas Chamberlin, independent scholar, historian, environmental policy analyst, and author of On the Trail: A History of American Hiking.
- Karen Balaban, President (2008-2012) of the Susquehanna Appalachian Trail Club (SATC) and current Project Manager for reconstruction of the Darlington Shelter. She was a strong advocate, organizer and hands-on volunteer coordinator for the 2011-2012 rescue effort.
- Larry Knutson, President of Penn Trails, was deeply involved in the year-long rescue effort for the Darlington Shelter. He photographed and documented the dimensions and construction of the shelter, and oversaw the disassembly and transport of stones to the A.T. Museum.
- Andrea Shapiro, author of a new children’s book about Earl Shaffer, 2000 Miles to Happy. Andrea has thru-hiked both the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Luke Kolbie, CEO of the Russell Moccasin Company, established in 1898 and makers of the boots Earl Shaffer wore during his entire 1948 thru-hike of the AT. Russell Moccasin is producing a 75th Anniversary, Earl Shaffer edition of its original Birdshooter boots.